Hip hop music has been with us since the 1970’s; since its early years, the genre has been an evolving art form spanning a variety of styles inhabited by some interesting characters. Let’s take a look at the significant years in the development and growth of hip hop.
- The Grandfather of Hip-Hop; Afrika Bambaataa started to DJ. He is also known to many as the Godfather of Hip Hop culture. As the founder of the Universal Zulu Nation, Afrika is also a visionary, historian and is recognized as the “Master of Records”.
- Kool Herc, the Father of Hip-hop also known as Clive Campell DJ’d his first block party.
- Graffiti Art became widely visible in around New York’s subway cars.
- Caz, Bambaataa, Herc and Flash played at block parties, house parties and were visible all over the Bronx neighborhoods.
- The art of “Emceeing” started to evolve in parties.
- Kool Herc and the Herculoids was formed and its members Coke La Rock and Clark Kent formed the first emcee team.
- Hip hop focused its attention on the MCs while other DJs such as Disco King Mario, Casanova Fly, Disco Wiz and DJ Bam continued to perform around town .
- Herc was stabbed three times in his party one night, and his career took a beating from which he never recovered.
- Gangsta rap came into play with Ice T as the pioneering artist. His singles “Body Rock” and “Killers” were released in the West coast.
- The Geto Boys was formed. It was founded by James Smith who was a native of Houston, Texas. Its original lineup included MCs Raheim, DJ Ready Red, Sir Rap-A-Lot and Jukebox.
- The Geto Boys were the authors of the evolution of southern rap.
- “36 Chambers” was released by the Wu-Tang Clan.
- “The Chronic” by Dr. Dre reached multi-platinum status.
- Jay-Z launched his highly-anticipated album, “Reasonable Doubt”. He started the “charismatic rapper” theme thus earning lots of admirers and inspiring many wannabes.
- A new award-giving body was formed in the UK. It was called The Music of Black Origin and The Fugees came away with two trophies for that year.
- In an MTV show, Puff Daddy announced that he would change his name to P. Diddy.
- Eminem pleads guilty to two charges of felony in an incident in 2000 where he caught a man kissing his wife, Kim Mathers. He was charged for pistol-whipping the man.
- In a Power 105.1 concert in New York, Jay-Z and Nas ended their long time feud.
There you have it; Hip-hop highlights through the years. It may be the same as before as it is now. But along the way, there are lots of personalities, happenings and events. All of these events helped shape hip-hop, and the hip-hop culture is still growing strong after all these. Listen to 977music’s very own DJ Tremble on demand here, or every weekend on the Hitz station mix shows.Tags:hip hop, Internet radio, online music