YouTube has made a lot of people famous who may never have had the opportunity to become discovered. While not everybody gets a chance of stardom, a few have and they have done it up big. Who are the top musicians who have been discovered through this medium?
1. Arnel Pineda – Once a Filipino singer and songwriter, now lead singer for the rock band Journey. Videos of Pineda performing cover songs for Journey, Survivor, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Air Supply, The Eagles and Kenny Loggins began appearing on YouTube in 2007. From the videos, that same year, Pineda was asked to audition for Journey. By the end of the year 2007, Pineda was named the lead singer of the band.
2. Justin Bieber – Bieber may be one of the biggest rising stars right now and he’s only 16. This Canadian pop and R&B singer was discovered on YouTube by Scooter Braun, who later became his manager. Bieber was flown into Atlanta, Georgia where he had the opportunity to consult with musician Usher. Bieber soon signed with Usher creating the Raymond-Braun Music Group and then later with L.A. Reid and Island Def Jam. Bieber is known for his breakthrough single “One Time”, which was released in the summer of 2009 and charted on the top thirty in ten countries. HE followed this single up with his “My World.” His studio release “My World 2.0” will be released March 23, 2010.
Bieber started performing at the age of 12 where he won second in a local singing competition. He also taught himself how to play the piano, drums, guitar and trumpet. It was in 2007 that his mother began posting videos on YouTube so that his family and friends, who could not attend his performances, could see him sing. Once discovered, Bieber became a hot commodity. He has appeared on The Today Show, The Ellen DeGeneres Show, Good Morning America and Chelsea Lately to name a few. He also had the opportunity to perform for U.S. President Barack Obama at the White House Christmas In Washington music special that benefited the National Children’s Medical Center. Beiber has toured with Taylor Swift on her two-stop return to the United Kingdom Fearless Tour. Bieber was named the hottest star of 2009 by J-14, newcomer of the year by MuchMusic, and listed by Celebuzz as one of the Top 10 YouTube stars of the 2000s decade
3. Esmee Denters – This Dutch singer-songwriter attracted the attention of Justin Timberlake in 2008, who later went on to sign her to his label Tennman Records. In 2009 she released her debut studio album “Outta Here”. The album reached number five in the Netherlands. Her debut single, also the title song of the album was released in the Netherlands in 2009. So far it has reached the top 10 in several European countries. The album was released in the UK on January 11, 2010 and features the previous 2008 charity duet with Timberlake, “Follow My Lead” as an additional bonus song.
4. Terra Naomi – This rock and pop artist became famous with her song “Say It’s Possible” through YouTube. Naomi is from New York State but currently lives is Los Angles. She writes, performs and plays guitar and piano. Naomi won the first YouTube “Best Music Video” award in 2006. She signed a publishing deal with Universal Publishing and a record deal with Island Records in 2007.
5. Lisa Lavie – Another Canadian born singer and songwriter who used the Internet to promote her music has had her vocals appear on soundtracks of major motion pictures. Lavie released her debut album in 2008 “Everything or Nothing”. Her album reached #20 on iTunes pop chart. Her featured video was a finalist among all videos in the 2007 YouTube Awards.
6. Mia Rose – Rose, is an English/Portuguese singer songwriter. Rose posted daily videos singing cover songs on YouTube starting 2006. She set a record within a month for the number of subscribers. In 2009 she wrote and recorded “Let Go” selling it on iTunes in Portugal where it became the best selling download and number 2 in Portuguese charts. Rose has been featured in Rolling Stone, The Sun, The Age and BBC Radio 5 Live.
Getting a chance to be heard, as a musician, is always a difficult task. Getting discovered is even more challenging unless you are somebody who knows somebody. Thanks to new social networks, musicians that normally wouldn’t get their chance, finally are.
Jeff Bachmeier is owner of 977music.com, an online music and online radio station network providing live streaming Internet Radio channels with music from the 50’s thru Today. Users can also choose to create their own customized on demand playlist through their own social media profile. For more information please visit http://www.977music.com.