- Stanhope's career began in 1990 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Stanhope has made appearances at several major comedy festivals, including the Montreal Just For Laughs, US Comedy Arts Festival in Aspen, Colorado, the Chicago Comedy Festival and the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in Scotland, where he won the Strathmore Press Award in 2002.
- In 2004, Stanhope endorsed the Free State Project, and is quoted as saying "...the Free State Project stands out as one of few ideas that could produce tangible change in our lifetime. The vision of Christian gun enthusiasts buying hand-painted targets from pot-smoking artists, laughing together while they give the tax man the finger, is beautiful enough to make the move."
- In August 2006 he appeared alongside Rouse at the Fringe Festival in Edinburgh, Scotland, to rave 5 star reviews from the press. On his opening night he took what was believed to be an ecstasy tablet that was handed to him by a member of the audience. Why this seems outrageous is ridiculous, says the comic.
- Doug lives in in Warren, Az near the Mexico border in a small compound with musician/author/galpal Amy "Bingo" Bingaman and their dogs Ichabod and Henry Phillips and cats Meatwig, Mumsy (aka Reputa the Beauta) and Mother's heirloom ancient cat Georgia.
Share Doug Stanhope! Tell your friends about Doug Stanhope on 977music - share the joy of on-demand artist playlists!